Saturday, January 19, 2013

On Quitting Smoking

In 2004, my family decided to send me to a University more than 250 kilometres away from my hometown. It was not an easy decision to make for everyone, including me, since I was barely 16 years old then. I felt all kinds of fears but my eagerness to study and graduate in a prominent university motivated me to go on and reach for my dreams. Hence, I took up Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Minor in Psychology in University of the Philippines, Baguio in 2004.
Upon my admission in the University, was alcohol and nicotine-free. I studied in a catholic school for 12 long years and I guess I was just lucky I was not influenced nor forced to try vices of any type. During my first week as a freshie, I was curious to try smoking. They said it tastes better when in a cold setting such as Baguio. I tried it and since almost all my friends during that time were smoking too, I got into it. Eventually, after days or so, I tried drinking out with friends and soon, I also got into it. And this is where it all started.
My parents smoke and I remember years back how I hated the smell of cigarette. Haaay! I didn’t want to be like them growing up so I was trying hard to fight every urge to puff and smoke cigar. As we mature, life becomes more stressful and we create this illusion in our heads that smoking can somehow reduce and overcome stress. I don’t want to be hypocrite and tell you that I have completely shrugged off the thought of smoking. I’m still in the process of kicking the habit. What motivates me? Erick doesn’t smoke and he doesn’t drink, he has been so persistent in influencing me to stop smoking. I have stopped drinking for 7 months now - from a drunkard, I am now an occasional drinker (yehey!).  Erick has a lot of faith in me that I’ll eventually stop smoking – as in cold turkey. I wish I have that same faith in myself.
Also, one other MAJOR reason why I want to quit is because price of cigarette has more than doubled over the past weeks! OMG! That’s too much for a bad habit!   
Plus, another reason why I want to finally quit is because Erick taught Nyx how to say: “Don’t smoke na please?”  How can you say NO to that?!
Today is my 6th day of trying not to smoke. It’s hard. It gets harder whenever I hear stories from people who failed several times in their attempt to kick the habit. There were a lot of challenges along the way, but I’m thankful for the support I get from Erick and my friends - from almost 12 sticks per day, I am now down to 1 stick per day. Everything is possible. I want to start living a healthier life so I can live longer for my loved ones – most especially for my son. J

Here’s a thought that I would like to share with everyone who’s sharing the same journey.. 
"Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire, which transcends everything".  
Let’s stay positive! J

No comments: